Wednesday, March 12, 2008

UK Tours: UK Calling!

Wednesday, March 9th 2007. I’ll never forget the day! An aunt in the United Kingdom wanted me to come to her and promised she would bear all my expenses and tantrums too. Fast as my legs would carry me, I visited a cyber cafe, surfed the net, glanced through all the customized UK Tours and decided on one promotional offer by a good travel agent. Bingo! England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland! History and heritage it is this time. Let me tell you of muffins, haunted castles and other things English.

UK toursI was lucky again to get a seat in one of the cheap flights to UK. Landing at Heathrow airport my first thought turned towards accommodation. Yes I could have easily gone and stayed with that aunt of mine but being independent always helps. Especially in a foreign country! The thrill of being on unknown territory is unparalleled. As such my hotel was already booked through my travel agent. A downtown budget accommodation close to Hyde Park suited me fine especially after going through the steep tariffs of the big UK hotels and high end London hotels in particular. One thing that struck me most about London hotels is that most of them are located in the pedestrian footpath without a boundary. They mix well with the surrounding milieu.

Once I’d settled in my hotel and visited my ecstatic aunt, my next stops were Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Kensington Palace, London Bridge and London Dockyard. I am an avid fan of Charles Dickens you see.

UK Tours would be deemed incomplete if you don’t visit the countryside of England with its inns and English breakfast. So very PG Wodehouse! However due to time constraint all that I could make out in the ensuing days were Stratford Upon Avon, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Yes a bit of Scotland and Wales along with sightseeing some English castles felt good. On the whole my UK Tour was enriching, fun-filled and yes, I still thank my stars and hope that I find one or two of these long lost aunts in Brazil or Egypt too. Just some of the places my world travel guide got me interested in. o and also opened up mind-boggling options, making my thirst for the unknown limitless.

You might be interested in:

0 comments: