Wednesday, March 26, 2008

2008 Beijing Olympics – Let the Games Begin!

I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about the upcoming Olympics. The whirlwind countdown to the 2008 Beijing Olympics has begun… and those who are still undecided about whether they want to be part of the biggest sporting event held every four years might well be left behind. The hotels in Beijing nearest to the Olympic Village are simply bursting at the seams with advance bookings. My cousin Eric is due for a business conference in Beijing in mid-August, and he’s glad his company has its own guesthouse there.

2008 beijing olympicsWell, some people have all the luck. Work is taking him close to the venue of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, while the very same work will have me doing a 9-5 every day of the Olympic month. Not that I regret it much. The ‘idiot box’ is good company.

Perhaps I’ll settle down with a bowl of comfort food (yum..chips and cola and popcorn and roast chicken..and ..ok..can fantasize later) and watch my favorite gymnasts and swimmers perform. Well actually, it’s small comfort for someone who nearly booked a flight to China (boo hoo... but that’s how reality stands!).

My work keeps me online for 17 hours a day, and I am well, nearly up-to-date with anything remotely connected to China tours. (I was almost on that plane... remember?). All the online world travel guides of any importance are announcing last minute rush bookings for Beijing hotels, reaching out to those who still fancy a tour of China, which is the place to be at in August 2008. In a way, I realize I have made a decision in favor of practicality.

China hotels and tours are the hottest commodities on the web, and Chinese economy is cashing in on the big interest. So if you are headed to China this year, be prepared to shell out big bucks or best of luck with a world travel guide that gives you the ‘cheapest deals’ for everything related to the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

You might be interested in:

0 comments: