Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Peru Tours: In the Land of the Incas

All my interest in Peru had been borne out of Tintin books - the Seven Crystal Balls and the Prisoners of the Sun; books that I had read over and over as a child and gifted to my son when he was old enough to read. In fact I had promised my son that we would be going on a Peru Tour on his tenth birthday and I had to go by it. But of course Peru Tours are something you cannot be satisfied with at one go or on a short visit. So there we were, lucky to get a cheap flight to the land of the Incas.

True, there is a lot to see in Peru but the Inca ruins take the cake. The ruins at Machu Picchu are simply spellbinding. I mean they are just so larger than life! You cannot possibly get over the vista they create on the mountainous slopes. And if you come to think of the fact that they were built way back in the 15th century…well! And I felt a strange sense of shame to think that we bargained against this for the crowded cities down in the plains.

However, Machu Picchu is now well serviced by tourist guides and sound transport systems, and many of the Peru Hotels arrange their own trips and hikes to the ruins with their guides.

A friendly piece of advice - do consult a proper world travel guide before going on Peru Tours; and do not forget to get into one of those smoky pubs infested with immensely talented singers and musicians, who seem to live just for the sake of music, still.

You might be interested in:

0 comments: